Homeless Man Killed by Train Was Witness in Exeter Murder Trial

Homeless Man Killed by Train Was Witness in Exeter Murder Trial

A well-known Exeter homeless man died when he was struck by a train, an inquest has heard.

Victor Zeyu Nelson, 23, was struck on the Plymouth to London line at Exeter St Thomas station on August 1. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

An inquest into his death has been opened by the coroner in Exeter. Area coroner Deborah Archer said Mr Nelson was born in Aubervilliers, France, and had no fixed address. A full inquest will take place at a later date.

Mr Nelson was a familiar figure in the Exeter street-attached community. His death is the latest tragic fallout from a high-profile Exeter murder case.

In 2023, Mr Nelson gave witness evidence in the trial of his friend Brian Jewell, 19. Jewell fatally stabbed Stephen Cook, 45, in a brawl outside Betfred on Sidwell Street. The case shone a light on life in the Exeter homeless community and how violence can suddenly flare.

In his evidence to the jury Mr Nelson spoke about the difficulties of living on the streetsin Exeter. He said it was a dangerous environment and "anything can happen".

Jewell and Mr Nelson had been living rough around the city, engaging in shoplifting and petty crime. Jewell said he bought a knife to defend himself. Mr Cook, a dad-of-two, approached a small group of homeless people, including Jewell. He punched a man called Sam Tig

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *