Expectant Mothers in Devon Face £150 Taxis and No Signal

Expectant Mothers in Devon Face £150 Taxis and No Signal

Health chiefs have denied that suspending birthing services at North Devon District Hospital (NDDH) is a "deliberate downgrading" of the most remote acute mainland hospital in England. They say they are "absolutely committed" to reopening the services, but it will not be until "at least the end of September". Leaders of the Royal Devon University Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust and Devon Integrated Care Board (ICB) faced questions from councillors at a special meeting of Devon County Council 's health and adult care scrutiny committee on Monday.

Birthing services at NDDH were suspended on August 11, meaning women have had to travel 90 minutes or more to Exeter to have their babies. The move was described at the meeting as "sudden and chaotic" by Cllr Paul Crabb (Con, North Devon Council, Ilfracombe ). The trust said it was an "extremely difficult" decision but it was not able to provide "effective and safe services" due to staffing issues. Fragilities in the system were raised last year, but the tipping point came when a member of staff suffered a sudden bereavement and had to travel overseas, and a locum doctor withdrew from the service, leaving the unit of eight doctors unable to provide 24-hour cover.

Councillors questioned whether more could have been done to prevent the suspension, which had left many women in North Devon and the catchment area of North Cornwall and Somerset "terrified" and "anxious". They said residents of North Devon now had "little faith in the trust". Council leader Julian Brazil (Lib Dem, Kingsbridge ) said closing services should never have been an option. He called it "

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *