Newquay Voice - Every Wednesday Only £1

Sell for Free in the Voice

It's free to sell your unused items in the Voice. No fees, no commission.

Place Your Free Ad

Buy your favourite pictures

Ordering high quality prints or digital copies is quick and simple.

More information

News Archive > Sport > G knocking on door of top half

G knocking on door of top half

By 20th December 2017

G knocking on door of top half
GODOLPHIN Atlantic´s Aaron Dilley attempts to win the ball back during Saturday´s visit of Camelford

GODOLPHIN Atlantic boss Ashley Bradshaw encouraged his players to ‘keep faith’ in their ability as they attempt to break into the league’s top 10,  writes Scarlet Bennett.

Jamie Lowry and George Ellis put Godolphin into a comfortable 2-0 lead at home to Camelford on Saturday. However, the visitors put the pressure on by pulling a goal back before missing a great chance to equalise from the penalty spot.

The G Army heeded the warning and soon restored their two-goal lead thanks to Ross Fallens and went on to increase their advantage with further strikes from Phil Lowry and Ben Colquhoun.

Bradshaw was pleased with the way his team reacted following last weekend’s humiliating 6-1 defeat at St Austell and endorsed them for a challenge on the top half of the South West Peninsula League.

He said: “After least week’s defeat against St Austell, I asked the players for a reaction and we got it. During the week I decided to make changes to positioning, bringing Jamie Lowry out of centre-back and dropping Aaron Dilley back, this allowed Jamie to influence the game further up the pitch and to organise us as a team better.

“Dilley, pictured, is great for us in midfield but he is also one of our best defenders. He reads the game excellently and his range of passing from the back really sets us up offensively.
“I have read and spoken to a few people since Saturday and they have commented how the first-half was a dull affair. However, from a coaching point of view I was really happy, against St Austell we didn’t execute the game plan at all and that allowed them to play through us easily.

“This time we got it spot on, we allowed their back four to have the ball and set the traps to win possession back that we spoke about before the game. After 30 minutes our patience paid off and we started to win the ball back higher up the pitch.

“We had a few good chances with George Ellis having a one-on-one and Jamie going on a great run but firing over after all his hard work. There were a couple of good deliveries from corners that we just didn’t get a head on so at half-time it was time to put plans in place for the second-half.

“In the final third our creative players had not clicked, passes into the front two were a bit sloppy and we were not doing the basics well, I was confident that if we could just not get frustrated and remain calm we would get our reward.

“We started to create a little bit more, but again the little bit of quality we required was just missing until we won the ball back in midfield and Jamie broke through to lift the ball over the goalkeeper to give us a deserved lead.

“Five minutes later some good work down the left and a dangerous ball into the box allowed George to turn and score for his second goal in three games for us. The next 10 minutes, I would rather forget about though, we switched off and got complacent, a few defenders diving in out wide allowed Camelford to pull one back.

“We continued to be rash and switch off, a ball over the top of the back four, one of the first in the match, and we gave away a penalty. Luckily it was missed and we went up the other end  and another ball from the left and some good movement by Ben Colquhoun drawing the defender away allowed Ross Fallens to volley home to give us our two-goal advantage.

“For the final 15 minutes with the rain lashing down we played sensibly and took advantage of Camelford pushing for a way back into the game with first Phil Lowry slotting home and then probably the goal of the match with Colquhoun swinging a corner to the far post and Kyle Brown volleying first time to leave the goalkeeper with no chance.

“After the game I said to the lads about keeping faith in the system and becoming harder to beat. If we do this we will continue to progress up the table and into the top half.

“When I took over in September we had seven points and were second bottom, we are up to 13th with 22 points and knocking on the door of the top-half.

“We are approaching a tough run of games in a short space of time over the Christmas period and it is vital we are at our best to break the top 10. I don’t want the team to rest on their laurels because they have worked so hard to get us away from the difficult start to the season and we have a cup quarter-final and a chance to kick on in the league in the second half of the season.

By 20th December 2017

Add your own comment

Spam Test
Captcha Spam Test

Please enter the text from the image

Top of Page