Voice from the past: The G complete unprecedented double

Voice from the past: The G complete unprecedented double

Voice from the past: The G complete unprecedented double

Kevin Miller’s 45th birthday ended with his Bodmin side defeated by Godolphin

10th March 2021

By Gareth davies

Godolphin Atlantic 2, Bodmin Town 0

March 2014

Godolphin Atlantic secured a 2-0 win over Bodmin Town, becoming the first team to complete a league double over the Priory Park outfit since the inception of the South West Peninsula Premier League in 2007.

The home defence kept the likes of Danny O’Hagan and Chris Wright, two of the most feared forwards in the South West, quiet on the day as the G added to their 1-0 August win at Priory Park.

A feisty beginning to the encounter witnessed chances for both sides, Bodmin’s Jack Alexander saw a free-kick held by shot-stopper Shaun Semmens while the G’s Josh Fearon, could only find the side netting when presented with a good opportunity.

Godolphin then came agonisingly close to taking a 21st-minute lead when, had it not been for Ollie Dart nicking in ahead of Fearon, veteran goalkeeper Kevin Miller could well have had to pick the ball out of the back of his net.

Fearon was also involved moments later when, after being put clear by a through ball, he was stopped in his tracks by a dubious offside flag that had the home bench out of their dugout in protestations. They were equally as angry in the next attack as Wright looked to have connected an elbow into the face of home captain Ollie Pinnell. Referee Martin Ault awarded a free-kick but showed no card to the forward.

Later, as Bodmin built up a tempo, Wright was able to capitalise on a moment of hesitant defending but sent his shot over the bar, while Tim Peacock headed over another Alexander set-piece.

At the other end, Aaron Dilley was guilty of wasting a promising attack when, with teammates calling for the ball in the 18-yard-box, the midfielder let fly and missed the target.

Bodmin’s Shane Jewell was the first name taken by Ault as, on 38 minutes, the defender brought down Fearing who was attempting to race in on goal. On another day, the challenge could have yielded a red card as Jewell could well have been seen as denying a goalscoring opportunity.

The G built up a head of steam as the first 45 came to a close. Phil Lowry’s shot was headed away by Jewell with Bodmin also having Steve Simmonds to thank following a goalline clearance.

Not to be denied, the G Army continued their onslaught on the visitors’ goal and, no more than 120 seconds after Ault began the second half proceedings, had Ryan Martin beat his man on the right touchline. The defender planted the ball onto the head of Fearon who headed low past the despairing Miller to send the home crowd into delirium.

Miller was later booked for dissent and his day went from bad to worse on 57 minutes. Dart sent a cross into the box which Bodmin had thought they had done enough to clear, however, Peacock managed to flick it past a mass of bodies and over the line for 2-0.

Bodmin weren’t done yet though, looking to keep up their unbeaten run on the road which had stretched the entire season, Semmens pulled off a super save from the dangerous Alexander with manager Darren Gilbert sending on prolific forward Seb Broomfield to try and rouse a comeback. All the forward could do though was earn himself a yellow card for a rough challenge on Ryan Martin.

Despite late pressure, Godolphin held on to complete the league double over their Bodmin counterparts.