‘Thanks for rescuing me’, says woman saved from quicksand

‘Thanks for rescuing me’, says woman saved from quicksand

Sammy Siggery near the spot by the Gannel where she became stuck

11th April 2021

By Warren Wilkins

A Newquay woman has thanked emergency services for saving her life after she became stuck in quicksand at the Gannel.

Sammy Siggery feared the worst as the incoming spring tide was approaching and she was unable to free herself after becoming stuck in wet sand up to her knees on Tuesday, March 30 at about 3.15pm.

She was able to dial 999 and was rescued by Newquay firefighters and members of Newquay Coastguard.

One appliance from Newquay Fire Station, a water rescue team from Falmouth, a rescue tender from Bodmin and two rescue officers were sent to the scene.

The crew from the Newquay appliance were able to dig Sammy out using a spade and waited with her until a paramedic checked her over. She returned home uninjured.

Sammy had been on a fund-raising walk in aid of Cornwall Air Ambulance when the incident happened.

The 50-year-old, who has mild learning difficulties, is embarking on the walking challenge during the lockdown to raise funds for the cause and help beat her depression.

Sammy said: “I was walking across the River Gannel near the coast path at the Hotel California.

“I was walking in the middle and then I went the wrong way and my feet got completely stuck in the sinking sand.

“Thank goodness it was low tide. A kind man with two dogs tried to get me out and couldn’t so I rang 999 and asked for the coastguard.

“I was stuck for about 20 minutes. I just couldn’t move. The coastguard and and the fire brigade saved me.

“They had to dig me out with a spade. It was so scary. It was a good job I dialled 999.
“I was all shivery and I had pins and needles in my feet.

“The incident really shook me up. The paramedics checked me over and I was fine.
“The coastguard took me home.

“I would really like to thank all the emergency services. They were fantastic.”

“No more going into the middle of the River Gannel for me.”

Newquay Fire Brigade watch manager Lee Beresford said: “She was up to her knees in it for around 20 minutes. Green Watch used shovels to dig her out. As it was an incoming spring tide she was getting quite concerned.”

subscribe icon.png