A man from Truro has been confirmed dead due to a two-car collision on the A30 near Launceston. Emergency services were called to the westbound carriageway of the A30 between Two Bridges and Plusha at around 11.40 p.m. last night, April 30.
The driver of the other vehicle suffered minor injuries. A road closure has remained in place since the incident for a police investigation to be carried out. The road still remains partially closed but is expected to be fully cleared by later this morning. Diversions are currently in place.
A Devon and Cornwall Police spokesperson said: “Police were called at approximately 11.40pm on Sunday, April 30, following reports of a two-vehicle collision having occurred on the westbound carriageway of the A30 between the Two Bridges and Plusha in Cornwall, involving a grey VW Beetle and a grey Ford S-MAX.
“As a result of the collision, the VW Beetle driver who is a man in his 50s from the Truro area, suffered fatal injuries and was pronounced deceased at the scene. The driver of the Ford, who is a man in his 70s from the Launceston area, was taken to hospital with minor injuries.
“Officers from the Alliance Armed Response, No Excuse Team and Roads Policing Team attended the scene to complete a full forensic investigation.
“The scene of the collision remains partially closed as efforts to recover one of the vehicles continue; we expect this to have taken place and the road to be fully cleared by later this morning, Monday, May 1. Police are appealing for witnesses and would like to hear from anyone who witnessed the collision or who saw either vehicle prior to the collision.”
Anyone with any information or who has dashcam footage that can assist with the investigation is asked to contact the police on 101 quoting log number 1059 30 April.
Diversions have been put in in place by National Highways following the tragic crash. Westbound diverted traffic is advised to follow the solid square diversion symbol. The diversion routes are:
- Exit the A30 westbound at the A395 junction at Kennards House
- At the junction, use the roundabouts to re-join the A30 eastbound towards Launceston
- Exit the A30 eastbound at the A388 junction at Launceston
- Join the A388 southbound and continue towards Saltash
- Join the A38 westbound at Carkeel Roundabout
- Continue on the A38 westbound towards Bodmin to then re-join the A30 westbound to continue onward journey
Eastbound diverted traffic is also advised to follow the solid square diversion symbol:
- Exit the A30 eastbound at the A38 Carminnow Cross junction
- Join the A38 eastbound towards Saltash
- At the A388 junction at Carkeel, join the A388 northbound
- Continue on the A388 northbound towards Launceston to then join the A30 westbound at Launceston
- Exit at the next junction and then re-join the A30 eastbound to continue onward journey