In the quarter-finals of the Champions League this Tuesday evening, Inter faces Benfica for the first leg of their showdown to decide who gets into the semi-final. Read on to see who we think will triumph at the stadium of light and hear our betting tips.
Bet UK – Bet £10 Get £30 Free Bet
Virgin Bet – Bet £10 Get £20
LiveScore Bet – Bet £10 Get £20
bet365 – Up to £30 in Free Bets
BetVictor – Bet £10 Get £40
Parimatch Sports – Bet £10 Get £20
Benfica Vs Inter Stats & Facts
- This will be the fourth time that Benfica and Internazionale have faced each other in European competition, but it will be the first time they have faced each other since the Last 16 stage of the UEFA Cup in 2003-2004. Benfica have not won any of their previous three meetings, drawing one and losing the other two.
- Benfica and Internazionale have only competed against one another once before in the European Cup/UEFA Champions League, and that match took place in 1965 at the Giuseppe Meazza in the final. Internazionale came out on top with a score of 1-0.
- Benfica has already defeated Italian competition twice in this season’s UEFA Champions League competition, claiming victories both at home and away against Juventus in the group round.
- Prior to the 2022-2023 season, they had a record of just two victories out of 11 matches played against Italian teams in the European Cup and UEFA Champions League (D2 L7).
- After defeating FC Porto in the previous round of the UEFA Champions League, Internazionale was able to guarantee a spot for themselves in the quarterfinals of the competition for this season.
- In spite of the fact that the aggregate goals projected for the match were 2.1 to 3.5, the team captained by Simone Inzaghi was victorious with a score of 1-0 after both legs combined.
- Benfica is aiming to win five consecutive matches in the European Cup/UEFA Champions League for the first time since the 1989-1990 season when they won six matches in a row en route to reaching the final of the competition that year (lost 1-0 v AC Milan).
- 1-2 vs Porto
- 1-0 vs Rio Avw
- 5-1 vs Vitoria SC
- 3-0 vs Maritimo
- 5-1 vs Club Brugge
- 1-1 vs Salernitana
- 1-1 vs Juventus
- 0-1 vs Fiorentina
- 0-1 vs Juventus
- 0-0 vs Porto
Benfica: Currently 1st in the Portuguese top flight
Inter: Currently 5th in the Serie A.
Inter is looking to have significantly worse form in comparison to Benfica coming into this champions league match. However, it’s important to note that the Italian league is much more competitive than the Portuguese.
Benfica Vs Inter Squadlists
Here are the players at the disposal of Roger Schmidt and Simone Inzaghi for this Champions League encounter.
Goalkeepers: Odysseas Vlachodimos, Samuel Soares, Andre Gomes
Defenders: Antonio Silva, Morato, Lucas Verissimo, Nicolas Otamendi, Alejandro Grimaldo Mihailo Ristic, Alexander Bah, Gilberto
Midfielders: Florentino, Frederik Aursnes, Joao Mario, Joao Neves, Chiquinho
Strikers: Andreas Schjelderuo, Julian Draxler, David Neres, Goncalo Guedes, Rafa, Goncalo Ramos, Casper Tengstedt, Petar Musa.
Goalkeepers: Andre Onana, Samir Handanovic, Alex Cordaz
Defenders: Milan Skriniar, Alessandro Bastoni, Stefan de Vrij, Francesco Acerbi, Danilo D’Ambrosio, Alessandro Fontanarosa, Federico Dimarco, Dalbert, Raoul Bellanova, Matteo Darmian, Mattia Zanotti
Midfielders: Marcelo Brozovic, Kristjan Asllani, Nicolo Barella, Hakan Calhangolu, Roberto Gagliardini, Denzel Dumfries, Robin Gosens, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Valentin Carboni
Strikers: Joaquin Correa, Lautaro Martinez, Romelu Lukaku, Edin Dzeko
Benfica vs Inter H2H Stats
- There has only ever been one other match between these two clubs in the champions league and that was in the 1964/65 campaign.
- The result of the final was a 1-0 win to Inter.
- Benfica has won the Champions League twice already while their rivals in the quarter-final, Inter, have won it three times.
- Inter’s most recent UCL title was in 2009/10 while Benfica’s latest was in 1961/62.
Benfica has been the first to score in 10 of it’s last 10 matches, however, Inter has had trouble scoring goals in it’s last few games. The Italian club has been consistently underperforming and I don’t think they’ll stand a chance against the Portuguese giants who have gained momentum over them.
BTTS Verdict: No
Of Benfica’s last five matches, it has seen over 2.5 goals scored in 4/5. Inter on the other hand has seen less than 2.5 goals in 5/5 matches. Not to mention, Inter is also winless five games in a row and without a clean sheet four games in a row. Such desperate figures show that the club is really struggling and Benfica will have the edge over them.
Over/Under Verdict: Under 2.5
Overall Verdict: Benfica to win