Saturday’s meeting between City and Southampton is set to be a walk-over for the Blues as they face the scraping bottom of the Premier League. Southampton fights relegation while City hopes to snatch the league title away from Arsenal.
Bet UK – Bet £10 Get £30 Free Bet
Virgin Bet – Bet £10 Get £20
LiveScore Bet – Bet £10 Get £20
bet365 – Up to £30 in Free Bets
BetVictor – Bet £10 Get £40
Parimatch Sports – Bet £10 Get £20
Manchester City Vs Southampton Facts & Stats
- Southampton has lost 9/13 of their last Premier League games against City with 3 draws and only one win way back in July 2020.
- The Blues have won four of their last six Premier League away games against Southampton (counting one loss and one draw). They drew 1-1 last season.
- Southampton won 2/3 of their first League games under the Spanish manager Ruben Selles but are currently winless in their last four games, also failing to score in three of those games.
- Manchester City has won their last four league matches having drawn against Nottingham Forest. The last time they won five games in a row was April/May 2022.
- Southampton kept an impressive six clean sheets in their first nine Premier League games in the 2020/21 season but since then the Saints have only managed to keep 7/43 at home with just one this season. Unsurprisingly, this is the fewest clean sheets of any team this season as they are plum last.
Manchester City vs Southampton Preview
- The Opta Supercomputer thinks that the Blues have a high probability of breezing past The Saints with a staggering win probability of 74.2%
- Southampton have struggled defensively as they’ve only managed to keep one clean sheet this season, the lowest of any Premier League side.
- Manchester City are currently on their longest win streak this season with four games won, the extension of this streak is looking very likely with this “Upstairs Downstairs” matchup.
The two sides are in two very different battles but will both be hungry to steal points from one another. Southampton has been struggling to stay afloat and are battling for survival in the Premier League. Last time out they lost to West Ham in East London and kick-started a struggle for survival.
Meanwhile on the other end of the spectrum, Manchester City recently beat Liverpool 4-1 and extended their win streak in a dazzling display of teamplay. Now that Erling Haaland is back from injury, Southampton is most likely in for a historic thrashing.
Manchester City Vs Southampton Squadlists
Here are all of the players that Pep Guardiola and Ruben Selles have at their disposal this weekend.
City Squad List
Goalkeepers: Zack Steffen, Stefan Ortega Moreno, Ederson, Scott Carson
Defenders: Kyle Walker, Ruben Dias, John Stones, Nathan Ake,
Joao Cancelo, Aymeric Laporte, Sergio Gomez, Manuel Akanji,
Rico Lewis, Joshua Wilson-Esbrand
Kalvin Phillips, Ilkay Gundogan, Jack Grealish, Rodrigo, Kevin
De Bruyne, Bernardo Silva, Maximo Perrone, Phil Foden, Cole Palmer
Strikers: Erling Haaland, Julian Alvarez, Riyad Mahrez
Southampton Squad List
Goalkeepers: Alex McCarthy, Willy Caballero, Gavin Bazunu
Defenders: Kyle Walker-Peters, Lyanco, Romain Perraud, Tino Livramento, Mohammed Salisu, Jan Bednarek, Armel Bella-Kotchap, Duje Caleta-Car, Juan Larios, James Bree
Midfielders: James Ward-Prowse, Stuart Armstrong, Moussa Djenepo, Mohamed Elyounoussi, Ibrahima Diallo, Romeo Lavia, Joe Aribo, Diamond Edwards, Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Carlos Alcaraz, Kamaldeen Sulemana, Kamari Doyle
Strikers: Adam Armstrong, Che Adams, Theo Walcott, Sekouu Mara, Dominic Ballard, Samuel Edozie, Jimmy morgan, Mislav Orsic, Paul Onuachu
Manchester City Vs Southampton H2H
- In their last 20 PL games against one another, Manchester City has won 13/20 games with 3 draws and 4 losses to The Saints.
- In their reverse fixture this season, The Blues defeated Southampton by a horrendous margin of 4-0.
- The two teams have a lifetime record of 17-4-4
- Surprisingly, Southampton has just two home wins this season compared to four away wins. (usually teams perform better at home)
Full-Time Betting Market
It goes without saying that Manchester City is the absolute favourite to win this matchup, even more so since their top scorer this season, Erling Haaland, is fit and ready to add to his incredible tally of 28 goals this season.
Verdict: Manchester City Away Win
Considering the fact that there is a massive power mismatch in this encounter and that The Saints have struggled to score past just about anyone this season, I’d count it highly unlikely that they score in the Saturday matchup.
BTTS Verdict: Strong No
Now that City’s goal-printing machine, Erling Haaland, is back from the repair shop and ready to roll I make the prediction that this match will easily produce a shedload of goals for the Cityzens.
O/U Verdict: Easily Over 2.5